2 Comments

Blog life after my wife kicked me off her's.

2/26/2010

Olympic Hockey and the NHL

Posted by Jon |

If you haven't been watching the Olympic hockey games, you probably have already been told: you are missing out. Luckily for me, I have been watching the games because (1) the USA played Canada last Saturday and (2) I listen to Jim Rome and the discussion for a number of days leading up to that game was USA vs. Canada smack. So I was lucky enough to watch an incredible game last Saturday and a few good games sense.

The problem is this: I have been thinking that maybe I would parlay my recent excitement about hockey into a reason to begin following the NHL...only...I have no team to follow. My first thought was to follow the team Ryan Miller, the USA's goalie, plays for. Two minutes later after looking him up on ESPN.com: The Buffalo Sabres. The Buffalo Sabres? Are you kidding me? No thank you. I have no idea which teams in the NHL are better than others, but I can already tell you where the Sabres sit. Moreover, do I really want to rope myself into liking a team that would require me to visit Buffalo to see them? Again, no thanks.

So, I am turning to you blog stalkers...please find me the NHL team that I should follow. And please...don't give me the Red Sox or Yankees of the NHL. Something promising, but not too popular please. Please provide a good argument for me liking your suggestion.

Thank you.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Done.

Tampa Bay Lightning.

The NHL is not like basketball. If you get into the playoffs you have close to the same chance of winning it all even if you are an 8-seed rather than a 1-seed so you don't have to follow the "Yankees" and "Red Sox."

I know the country an NBC is in love with Crosby and Ovechkin and rightfully so. They are amazing talents and it isn't fun to watch a team with no star talent. Lucky for you the Lightning have Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St Louis.

The Lightning play tough and this time of year every game matters. They aren't generally 1-seeds but they generally make the playoffs and proved a few years ago that they can win the Stanley Cup (See 2004).

If you are deterred by destination cities you won't be disappointed visiting me in Florida.

And the #1 reason is that if you come see the next home game on Tuesday you will receive a free reusable grocery bag if you are one of the first 10,000 fans.

Go USA!

Liz said...

your very demanding.

Holly said...

I would vote for the Colorado Avalance, mostly because they have a strong name (unlike the Anaheim Ducks), and Colorado is a nice place to visit.

Jessica said...

You have to go for the San Jose Sharks because They make sweet Starter jackets. At least they were sweet for all the gangsters in Jr. High.

Dave said...

I realize that you have only had a short time to gather results from your stalkers, but it looks as though you don't have much to choose from; the Lightning or the Sharks. The Lightning rank #9 of 15, whereas the Sharks rank #1 of 15 in their conference. The Sabres rank #5 in their conference.

Although Joe gave a great argument for his team, which he probably follows by default from living there, and Jess gave a convincing argument for the Sharks, there are better choices. Sorry Joe.

I know that you have asked for input from your "blog stalkers" and although I don't consider myself to be just that (sure I follow your blog; but I feel, as your brother in law, obligated to do so), my feeling is that you root for Ryan Miller's team, the Sabres.