2 Comments

Blog life after my wife kicked me off her's.

7/09/2009

Michigan (Continued)

Posted by Jon |

Sometimes, you find yourself in a foreign state wondering which city is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. At other times, you discover that the city next to you is called Farmington. How could I resist?



Turns out that every Farmington is a little heaven on earth.

After Farmington and after battling a VPN connection in my hotel for an hour and a half, I set off to Ann Arbor (thanks to a suggestion from Tula Gardner). I was determined to see the Big House. After driving through the Ann Arbor streets for a while, I finally made it to the stadium. I parked the car and walked around the classic brick stadium hoping to no avail that I could find an open gate to be able to take a peak at the field. Having failed at that, I turned my attention to the basketball Arena. I had a good friend on the mission in love with the wolverines, and I figured I'd make him jealous by seeing the court that the Fab Five played on and were ultimately one timeout short of possibly winning the title (sorry to rub that one in). At any rate, my luck finally changed when I swung around to the tunnel entrance where there was a door wide open. I stood at the door watching the Wolverine basketball scrimmage with a slightly obstructed view of the court for 10-15 minutes until a graduate assistant came walking may way and I asked him if anyone would mind if I went in to see the stadium. He said he didn't think anyone would mind, so I walked down the tunnel past the locker room entrance, past the board showing the different coach-designated player awards for each game last year and watched the scrimmage courtside for about 10 minutes. It was pretty sweet. I watched Manny Harris dunk 2-3 times and then do a sweet Jordanesque move where he was capped on one side of the basket, so he decided mid-air to convert it into a reverse layup (and made it of course). I also saw Grady give Gibson a hard time for missing an easy dunk under the basket. All-in-all, it was well worth the drive. I'll be keeping an eye on Harris...he apparently is the man.



The night ended with delicious ribs and brisket at Famous Dave's and a drive-by of Walled Lake (which was pretty cool as well). How are the kids honey? Just jokes.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Steve would be very jealous! What a great turn of luck.