2 Comments

Blog life after my wife kicked me off her's.

8/28/2009

Silent Battles

Posted by Jon |

Last Sunday marked the 6th-year anniversary that Jess and walked down the isle. Okay, we didn't really walk down an isle, but that sounds more poetic. At any rate, Sunday also marked the 6th-year anniversary of a silent battle that Jess and I have been fighting. Those of you who are married (and I'm pretty sure that I know all three of my devoted blog readers - and you are all married) probably also fight silent battles with your spouse. For example (this is not the battle we will be discussing here), Jess and I fight a silent battle each winter when she puts the car heat on feet-vents only and I wait until she is looking the other way to hit the top-vents only button (only to notice my feet burning five minutes later). These are the type of battles that are not worth getting in an argument about, so you try to take care of them silently, only to realize you are losing the battle 6 years later when the repeated offenses have rubbed your senses so raw that you may explode in a fit of rage the next time it happens (at least that is how I feel).

What could you possibly be silently fighting over for six years you ask? The answer: Toothpaste lids. I cannot stand lids or zippers that are not properly secured. This coincides beautifully with Jess's longstanding tradition of never securing any of these things. The Coup de grĂ¢ce of this battle is the toothpaste lid. A few years ago, I gave up this battle and decided that Jess and I needed our separate tubes of paste. That worked for a few months until she decided that although we have separate tubes in each of our bathroom drawers, it is more convenient in some way that I don't understand to always open my drawer and use my toothpaste. Usually, knowing my hatred towards unsecured toothpaste lids, she will give the lid a half-hearted half twist to appease me; however, this morning was the last straw forcing me to bring this silent battle to the blog battle grounds. I woke up this morning to find my toothpaste on the counter with the lid missing and Jess's toothpaste safely stored in her drawer. I searched for the lid and restored it, but alas, it was too late. Upon brushing my teeth, I squeezed (I really wanted to use squoze here, but apparently that is not a word) the paste out of the tube and received new paste trying to battle its way through the old, dried ring of paste around the opening. Gross. So now Jess has two tubes of paste in her drawer and I have a brand new tube in mine...and we will continue to fight this battle until our death.

Just to short-end Jess's most likely defense argument, yes, I know that if I brushed my teeth each night, I could monitor this more closely...but this cannot be the answer!

5 comments:

Dave said...

I would go as far as saying that "not replacing the toothpaste cap" is a "Helm thing". It is in their blood and Jon, you will never win this battle.

In regards to ending the car heater I have three words: Dual Temperature Control.

Good Luck!

Holly said...

I am ALL with her on the heat on the floor thing--the vents aimed at my face make me feel claustraphobic somehow, and dry up my lips horrifically.

Here is a possible solution to the toothpaste lid thing:
http://www.colgate.com/app/MaxFresh/US/EN/HomePage.cvsp#/MaxFreshPDP/

The stand up bottle of toothpaste is the one I was trying to show you--it obviously is not the best link, but all you have to do is flip the lid up and down instead of doing the whole twisty thing. (I HATE toothpaste after the lid has been left off as well . . . )

Robyn said...

I'm thinking you should put some sort of lock on your drawer (like Holly has on the doors in her home, but smaller of course) and only you know the combination. Jess - really? Not putting the lid on? I am disappointed. It's like not putting the lid down on the toilet. It MUST be done! Good luck Jon. Jess has told me that she has never seen you lose your cool EVER in the entire 6 years she's been married to you. So, maybe if you just lost it once over the toothpaste lid, she just might change her behavior. Although, if this is a Helm thing, there may be no hope and you better get a lock on your drawer :)

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

Jon, This one cracks me up. I am glad we are not the only ones with silent battles. One of ours being the heat in the car.

Marian said...

Well you gave me a good chuckle!! For 30 years I fought the silent battle of the toilet paper - I like it coming over the top - isn't that the way it is designed to be - but then Dad likes it rolling from under the roll. For 30 years I would go in the bathroom and change it - next time I'd come in he would have changed it back. After 30 years I decided it just wasn't worth the battle and the stress so I gave in and now I put the toilet paper on coming from the back and under!!! Much greater peace. But the toothpaste thing would really bug me. I like to squeeze from the bottome - Dad squeeses the whole tube - so we still have toothpaste wars and I often find the lid open to the toothpaste and have to take a kleenex to wipe out the old paste - I just try not to let it get to me too much.

Good luck - silent battles are hard to change unless you change yourself - I like the locked drawer idea if it REALLY is getting to you!