2 Comments

Blog life after my wife kicked me off her's.

2/18/2009

The Bachelor

Posted by Jon |

First, two disclaimers:

(1) I do not like or watch the Bachelor. Jess, unfortunately, does. Lately, Jess and I have been compromising on the TV we watch during workouts. She gives into 24, I give into the Bachelor.

(2) The premise of this post contains adult conversation...nieces, Drew, and other children...please don't read this post. Don't worry, I talk in generalities, but it is probably best for kids to ignore this post. Although the content of the Bachelor is apparently appropriate to all women, speaking the unspoken may not be unacceptable. Now is your chance to bail out and read no more. As a further disclaimer...you watch the show...not me.

With that said, there is one episode of the Bachelor every year that floors me. You all know the premise of the Bachelor. Each week all these women have to pass some cut in order to make it to the next round and ultimately win the heart of some lucky dude that happens to be good looking. For example, last week the girls brought the bachelor to meet their family. One girl who had battled incredible odds to even make it this far (given a severe underbite and a lisp akin to Eek! The Cat's) had an incredibly weird family and subsequently did not make the cut. Next week's cut is "meet the family of the bachelor" cut. The odd thing is that sandwiched in between these two cuts is the sex cut...where all three women sleep with the bachelor and hope that their performance is good enough. Don't worry ladies, I already know what you are thinking (because every women I mention this to says the same thing): "do you really think they do that?" Come on!!!! Are you serious? Let me provide a couple quotes from this week's show (from the girl who ultimately gets the boot) to remind you of what you already know: (1) "Do you think you can handle a whole night with me?"; (2) "I am ready to just be really close to him...and see if we connect physically."

Beyond the fact that I am blown away that this premise is acceptable, I really just wanted to comment about how this episode probably ruins one girl's life every year. Can you imagine being cut the next day? It is one thing to miss the "meet the family" cut. It is another to miss this cut. I am just glad that the bachelor did not cut the girl who's cuteness is overwhelmed by her two giant front teeth. There is no way she could spend the rest of her life dealing with both issues.

3 comments:

Candice said...

ABC should take notes from a lower class Bachelor format show on VH1, "Rock Of Love with Bret Michaels".

Just be upfront about what is happening behind closed doors. Shameless is really the direction they should go.

Heather said...

Very funny and VERY true. I loved the Bachelor for the first few years and it got to be a bit much for me. I've seen bits and pieces this year, but I just can't handle all the kissing etc. that goes on with EVERY girl.

Becky said...

Yeah, it's pretty skankified..